First snow of the season has fallen this week, which came as a surprise considering the non-wintery winters we’ve been experiencing. In fact it’s snowing right now as I write this post, which managed to finally put me in a festive-ish mood.
There’s a lot going on lately with my day job and it’s hard sometimes to break away from all that but here I am, with a bowl of steaming, creamy soup counting snowflakes and watching our street transform into a piece of winter wonderland.
Said soup is a simple and delicious veggie soup loaded with spicy-sweet flavor which I made in under 30 minutes from a bag of carrots that were forgotten in the pantry (leftovers of last week’s pie). I personally just love these simple affair type of dishes: satisfying and flavorful, quicker than the pizza delivery guy fires up his scooter.
Honestly. It’s just chopped carrots simmered with warm spices and blitzed into a silky smooth puree.
Also vegan, gluten-free, low-calorie and packed with nutrition. Healthy meets delicious in a brightly colored, vibrant quick fix. You literally feel yourself warming up from the inside out with each spoonful. Spiced with anti-inflammatory ginger, turmeric and a little bit of chili powder for some extra heat, a delightful combination of sweet carrots balanced with pungent spices.
To add a bit of crunch to the velvety consistency of the soup, I went with roasted chickpeas. It’s as easy as can be: a can of chickpeas tossed with olive oil and yet more pantry staple spices, roasted in a hot oven. Great snack on its own too when not used as a soup topper.
What else can I say? Make this the next time you’re feeling a little down, under the weather, or just, you know, want something to warm your cold cold heart 😉
Spiced Carrot Soup with Roasted Chickpeas
Warming creamy spiced carrot soup packed with goodness, perfect to comfort on a cold day. Serves 4.
For the soup:
1 kg carrots, peeled
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finally chopped
1 l vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
For the roasted chickpeas:
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp paprika powder (sweet or hot)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp curry powder
- Finely chop the carrots, or cut with a handheld slicer. This step helps them cook in no time, retaining all their goodness.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, sauté onions with the olive oil on medium-high heat until softened.
- Season, add garlic, bay leaf and spices, stir until fragrant.
- Add carrots, stir to coat with spices. Add stock, bring to a boil.
- Simmer until carrots are cooked through, about 10 min.
- Puree until smooth.
Make roasted chickpeas:
- Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss chickpeas with the oil and spices to coat evenly, arrange in a single layer on the baking tray.
- Bake for 15 min, stir, than bake for an additional 15 min, until golden and crispy (some will pop, that’s a sign they are getting ready)
- Serve soup with chickpeas, drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!